Attitudes to witches (was Re: The Potterverse)

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 21:57:04 EST 2004

Jon asked

<Who was the first "good witch" in literature?
the
earliest I can think of is in Baum. Are there any
earlier?>

Just off the top of my head, in literature per se
George MacDonald had a fine array of "wise women"
of one sort or another who would seem to be good
witches to all intents and purposes. He was
drawing on the wise women of fairy and folk
tales, the ones who give blessings to polite and
kind young women and curses to cruel and rude
ones. Then there are the fairy godmothers of
course.

I'm off to read Keith Thomas, Religion and the
Decline of Magic again.

=====
Ven