far too many thoughts on why DWJ is better than JKR, was Re:DWJ inIsraeli newspaper

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 22 21:27:02 EST 2004

>If there is infallible truth-drug available it generally plays hob with
>false accusations, so one just has to build a plot without those.  Mercedes
>Lackey has to cope with this after her invention of the "Truth Spell" in
>Valdemar, whereby Heralds can always get the truth from a witness; and Lois
>McMaster Bujold in the Vorkosegan books does a rather good job of pointing
>out how difficult it can be to ask the right questions to arrive at the
>truth even when someone *is* compelled not to speak a word of a lie.

Bujold clearly holds this as an article of faith. It's expressed in a
different way in Curse of Chalion, where there's a saint who can tell
(sometimes) whether people are telling the truth. He says "it's not as
useful as you might think." I think this is an excellent example of why
Bujold is such a good writer - she thinks about complexity in interesting ways.

Robyn