Translating "witch" (was RE: The Potterverse)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 18:49:16 EST 2004

Minnow:

> Has someone got access to the Vulgate, just for starters?  What does
*that*
> have for the two places where the King James has "witch"?

No sooner said than summoned!

Exodus 22.18: maleficos non patieris vivere

Deut 18.10-11 (I slopped into the next verse as it provides an interesting
list of similar bods): nec inveniatur in te qui lustret filium suum aut
filiam ducens per ignem aut qui ariolos sciscitetur et observet somnia atque
auguria ne sit maleficus ne incantator ne pythones consulat ne divinos et
quaerat a mortuis veritatem

So Jerome was using 'witch': but whether he meant the same thing by it that
we do, or the original writer of the Hebrew did, who knows?

Charlie