a defense, of sorts, of HP

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Sun Feb 22 17:04:15 EST 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 22:40, jstallcup at juno.com wrote:

> spoiler space [for _The Hero and the Crown), and I've added some
> more], just in case

> the main character climbs this tower that is so tall it takes her
> hundreds of years to get to the top--huh?  Well, ok. (but, come on,
> wouldn't you stop after a couple of days and say, wait, this isn't
> working.  What kind of fool would climb for hundreds of year???)
> She defeats the guy in it and falls out to find that so much time has
> passed that the landscape is unrecognizable and her friends are all
> gone.  Hmm. Ok, I can still buy that, I suppose.  Someone appears and
> says, oh, by the way, last time you were injured, I just sort of made
> you immortal. WHAT? Oh, that's convenient, isn't it.  Just made you
> immortal.  Oh, and we can undo the whole time travel problem by just
> traveling back in time, and here we go and here are all your friends
> waiting for you.  WHAT???? So they go back in time and all is hunky
> dory?  How could that be?  Isn't the past self still climbing the
> stairs?  Isn't the bad guy still alive at the top of the stairs?
> What on earth was the point, then, of making the stair climbing take
> all that time?

I've read it, what, three times now, and I've always read that
particular bit as happening outside normal time, on a different plane
of existence. Where you *can* climb for hundreds of years, and get made
immortal, and enter your normal timeline by the back door.

In other words, it's never bothered me. Puzzled me, yes, but I arrived
at the above by trying to solve the puzzle the first time I read it.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 03-Feb-2004