far Re:too many thoughts on why DWJ is better than JKR, was Re: DWJ in Israeli newspaper

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Feb 22 11:39:45 EST 2004

On Saturday, February 21, 2004, at 08:12 PM, Sally Odgers wrote:

> The ONLY ways magic makes sense to me is if (a) the cost is too high
> for
> flinging it about - if it exhausts you to create a floating cart,
> you'd be
> better to get merely tired carrying your grocery bags by hand - (b) if
> magic
> use creates a disturbance that brings unwelcome attention on your head
> (i.e.
> you need a priest hole to perform it) or (c) if magic is largely
> illusion
> and so has little or no substance. In my "Knight" books Becca is
> enormously
> powerful, but her magic is all illusion. If she created a floating
> cart the
> groceries would fall right through. Illusion is useful though - if you
> use
> it to convince a passing dragon that you are hidden in a non-existing
> tunnel.

I hate to keep bringing Terry Pratchett* up, but magic on the Discworld
has those properties.  Creating the illusion of a loaf of bread isn't
hard, but actually creating a loaf of bread is so difficult that baking
it is far easier.  And magic tends to attract the attention of the
creatures
of the Dungeon Dimensions.

*This is a lie.  I _love_ bringing Terry Pratchett up.

- If you think you're too small to have an impact,
   try going to bed with a mosquito.

                                                              -- Anita
Roddick