secular gods, was RE: Rowling and religion

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Sun Feb 22 09:02:02 EST 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Ika wrote:
|There's Anscher in _Derkholm_, who actually seems to be driving some of
|the plot in a way that's very unusual for DWJ, where events are usually
|the consequence of human actions.
|Anscher, by contrast, works in a hidden way to bring
|about the events through which the main characters in _Derkholm_ learn
|their lessons - he's sort of equated with a Purpose In The Universe in a
|way that I can't think of any other DWJ god being. (The blue demon works
|more like Morrigan.)

I always read that as a direct parody of other books in the genre,
specifically the Belgariad, given that the gods-appear scene in DLoD
could be blocked directly from any Eddings series you'd like to name.

-deborah
--
Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho