a defense, of sorts, of HP

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 06:36:37 EST 2004

Gilli wrote:

> for all Hermione's bookishness - which
> is
> probably the reason most of us on this list, if we identify with any
> character in the Potterverse, identify with Hermione - I've never once
> caught her reading a work of fiction.

We don't see her do much that isn't directly related to either (a)
schoolwork or (b) helping Harry out, though. It's one of those universes
that's simultaneously really closed (because of the focus on Harry -
everything gets brought back to his plotlines and then dropped when it's
no longer relevant to his immediate needs) and really open (again because
of the focus on Harry - anyone could be doing anything when the camera's
off them/Harry's not around).

Love, Ika (who identifies very strongly with Harry, and slightly less
strongly with Snape. Actually, before I go into classes, I tend to whisper
Snape's "no foolish wand-waving" speech to myself: "There will be no
foolish naturalizing ideology and silly discursivity in this class. As
such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and
exact art that is Reading Roland Barthes; however, for those select few
who possess the predisposition - I shall teach you how to bewitch the mind
and ensnare the senses; how to bottle myth, brew pleasure, and even put a
stopper in The Author..." Wriggle.)

--
"There are some bad people on the rise" - Moz