Plot-holes (was Re: a defense, of sorts, of HP)

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Sun Feb 22 05:51:09 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 04:27:40PM -0800, jackie e stallcup wrote:
>As for myself, if I turn off certain analytical parts of my brain, I can
>read them with absolute pleasure.  If I start to think about the big ol'
>plot holes, I start to get disappointed.

My touchstone for poor plotting is: if the (book, film, etc.) manages to
be enthralling enough that I only spot the plot-holes afterwards, then
that's fair enough and it's done its job of being an entertainment. If I
spot them while I'm still reading/watching, then the holes are too big
and the papering-over isn't thick enough.

Alas, I've got better at spotting them since I started to do this. :-)

Roger