The Potterverse (was; DWJ in Israeli newspaper)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 03:46:34 EST 2004

Minnow:
> >1) Witches are servants of the devil - the official Christian line for
most
> >of Christianity's history (not so sure about now!)
>
> Less than half of Christianity's history, I suspect.  Is there any mention
> before 1000AD of *witchcraft* as opposed to heresy of one sort or another?

Oh, yes. There's 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live'  right back in
Exodus, and the witch of Endor somewhere in one of the Samuels, I think. And
of course the New Testament has its very own witch in Simon Magus. And there
are Anglo-Saxon laws against witchcraft. I guess it only became glamorous
with the *Malleus Maleficarum* (sp?) though!

(Taking 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live' though: to be fair, I've
heard the Hebrew word can actually be translated differently, as 'poisoner'.
Oh for a Hebrew translator! (hint))

Charlie