a defense, of sorts, of HP

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sun Feb 22 02:04:49 EST 2004

SallyO wondered aloud:
>> does this mean that
plotting skill is totally unimportant to the majority of readers?

JKRowling has plenty of skill when it comes to plots. Yes, they have holes
in them you could drive a tractor through, but for the most part her plots
are fast-paced and suspenseful, and many authors have difficulty acheiving
that. Not DWJ of course. DWJ is a goddess amongst authors and writes plots
that are past-paced and suspenseful and only have very little and necessary
holes in them (such as how could Cat and Gwendolyn not ever have heard of
Chrestomanci if he really is all that important?) I think I am most like
Jackie in my response to JKR. I see the holes, they are glaringly, painfully
obvious to me, but I enjoy the books tremendously nonetheless. It's not that
I don't appreciate seamless plots, it's that other strengths and delights
compensate.

I've discussed some of the Harry Potter plotholes on this list before, and
had my opinions quoted back to me by HP fans running internet searches on my
name and Harry Potter, so I won't go into it all over again. Just one thing
I think this list will appreciate: for all Hermione's bookishness - which is
probably the reason most of us on this list, if we identify with any
character in the Potterverse, identify with Hermione - I've never once
caught her reading a work of fiction. She seems to be strictly a non-fiction
reader. How odd, and may I say, boring. obDWJ: I identified much more
strongly with Tonnino and Angelica's bookishness.