OT for sally (was: RE: Clever names in HP (was Potter vs DWJ))

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sun Feb 22 01:53:00 EST 2004

>> I expect someone has asked before, Gili = but how does your surname
translate? Is it "son of Hillel"?

Yes. My grandfather's father's Jewish name was Hillel, so when my
grandfather came to Israel he chose Bar-Hillel as his new name (instead of
Westreich).

>> Is the female form Bas-Hillel?

I suppose so, or Bat-Hillel. The Hebrew letter "taf" gets pronounced like an
S in certain European accents, so diaspora Jews of European descent would
pronounce it "bas" in Temple; but in everyday spoken Hebrew it's "bat".
However, Bar-Hillel is a surname, not a descriptive appellation, so it
doesn't get changed for different gendered children. [inserting obDWJ]
Unlike names in Dalemark.

Totally off topic: I've just had news of another bus-bombing in Jerusalem.
Did you know that if you place frogs in a pan of coolish water, and heat the
water bit by bit, very slowly, you can actually cook them to death and they
won't jump out of the pan?

Gili