The Potterverse

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Sat Feb 21 17:12:14 EST 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

|>>Somebody really ought to force them to read *Sir Gawain and the Green
|>>Knight*, with emphasis on the second fitt, where the Christian significance
|>>of the 'pentangel' is explained quite carefully.
|>
|>This assumes they can read.
|>
|Maybe it could be read to them.  Slowly.  With careful explanation of all
|the really hard words.

I just had this great idea of reading it to them and occasionally
slipping into the original:

  THEN þay schewed hym þe schelde, þat was of schyr goulez
  Wyth þe pentangel depaynt of pure golde hwez.

  (yay the internet)

And then, when they look confused and ask what language you're reading,
look at them perplexedly and say "English, of course.  Why?"

-deborah
--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout.
Here is my handle and here is my ... my ...