McKinley

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 21 00:24:34 EST 2004

> Ros said:
>
> > If anyone has read anything by Dickinson, I'd be interested in hearing
> > what
> > they thought about him.
>
> I absolutely love him: both his children's and his adult, both his fantasy
> and his realistic, fiction - especially the one (blanking on the title)
> with a woman called Lydia who rents out the top floor of her house to the
> unofficial embassy of an Eastern European government-in-exile. He's one of
> the few writers I know who can write great political novels without being
> didactic and without compromising the complexity of his characterization.
> He does great minor characters, in particular: one of those writers where
> you get the feeling he *knows* as much about the guy with one line on page
> 45 as about the leads, he just hasn't put it in the book.

Thanks, Ika-- _The Ropemaker_ is peeping in an increasingly appealing way
out of my TBR pile! As I mentioned, I enjoyed his stories in that
collection, one in particular. His voice felt very clear and precise to me,
sometimes far too detailed in a technical way for my liking, but with an
interesting combination of "dark" and "light". What you say about the minor
characters is something I very much felt in these stories.

Have you read _The Ropemaker_?

Ros