Rowling and religion

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Fri Feb 20 21:42:24 EST 2004

> Ah, but the Christians are unlikely to arise up in their monolithic might
> and declare some sort of religious-inspired open season on rowlings, the
> way bits of Islam did on rushdies

Yes. Been there, done that, about five centuries ago. Sometimes, when
watching the News (which I avoid whenever possible) I get the tired feeling
of a parent watching the younger generation making all the mistakes we
thought were over and done with.

> Would it be better or worse, someone who has read the books, if there were
> people in the Potterverse who were like Ann in Antonia Forest's books, and
> genuinely Christian?  I mean, would it work if some of the children in the
> school did have a faith they held to *at the same time* as being wizards?

Depends if wizardry is a religion or a craft, I reckon.

Sallyo.

'Enough, thou garrulous garnish!' - Becca of Braveria.