The Potterverse (was; DWJ in Israeli newspaper)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Feb 20 21:03:00 EST 2004

On Friday, February 20, 2004, at 03:46 PM, Roger Burton West wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 09:15:47PM -0000, Charles Butler wrote:
>
>> 3) The word 'witch' (or 'wizard') simply describes a certain innate
>> ability
>> to do magic - like being double-jointed, and has nothing to do with
>> belief
>> or affiliation at all.
>
> That's certainly the only approach one _can_ take if one's going to
> have
> religion as simply "something that is there" and not to be looked into
> in any sort of detail.
>
> But taking JOdel's point and running with it, the fact that there _is_
> overlap between the (repeatably demonstrable) abilities of magicians
> and
> the (may or may not be consistent depending on your world-view)
> miracles
> claimed to have happened by many religions suggests that it's really
> not
> going to be that simple. What if a competent magician has a Damascene
> revelation and decides to become an active Christian/etc.? What, for
> that matter, if a true-believing Muslim/etc. child is discovered to
> have
> a talent for magic after that true belief is established? Are they just
> totally incompatible world-views, in which case we _are_ getting back
> Charlie's types 1 and 2, or is it more complex than that?

If religion and magic actually coexist in a world, then I would imagine
that
one could profess any religion and still do magic.  That is to say,
there would
be Muslim magicians and Christian magicians and Hindu magicians and
so on.

I'm not sure I see the problem.  Certainly the definition of what
constituted
a 'miracle' would be different -- one would have to rule out a magical
act.
[But if the Catholic Church had been dealing with this for two thousand
  years, you can bet they'd have come up with some guidelines. ]

Has anybody else read the Lord D'Arcy stories?

- Treat the Earth well.
    It was not given to you by your parents.
    It was loaned to you by your children.

                   - Kenyan proverb