Rowling and religion in CL (was DWJ in Israeli newspaper)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Feb 20 13:46:33 EST 2004

On Friday, February 20, 2004, at 10:28 AM, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> In Witch Week, I don't think any reference is made to religion-
> witches are supposed to be evil, but I don't think "servants of the
> devil" comes into it- although that must have been the idea
> originally, since the split in the worlds was in 1605, at which point
> King James was frothing at the mouth about witches.

Yes, he was.  But, as Charles Williams points out in _Witchcraft_,
although he believed
in witchcraft, he never believed that any individual case he was
presented with _was_
witchcraft.  Deluded old women, yes.  Despised old women, yes.
Witches, no.

[The Spanish Inquisition, whatever its other faults, had a good record
on
  witchcraft, too.  It was Protestant Northern Europe that did most of
the
  burning, etc.]

> Jennifer
> --
> If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Oooooh.  This is one of my _favorites_.  I have a button that says this.

- If you're living like there's no global warming,
   you'd better be right.