Rowling and religion

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 13:33:31 EST 2004

In a message dated 2/20/04 11:38:41 AM Central Standard Time, Roger writes:

> I've found it useful to distinguish "Christmas" (Christian festival)
> from "Xmas" (Mammonist festival); is there a similar distinction
> possible for the two varieties of Easter celebration?

But X for Christ is a standard Christian abbreviation (the X being the Greek
letter chi). I've seen lots of letters by clerical types signed Yours in X, or
Yours in Xt, casual use of Xtianity as quicker to write, etc. I think the
stores started saying Xmas just because it was handier to fit in displays and
headlines, not specifically to be non-religious.

I know some Christians (usually Episcopalians or Catholics) who make a big
deal at home about Advent, which is something the stores have never gotten hold
of, and which is the proper name for the pre-Christmas season anyway (it is a
penetential season by the way, just as Lent is).

My own wish is that the whole non-religious-Christmas hoohah could just get
transferred over to New Year's, which is already a nice secular holiday at the
right time of the year, and was formerly the gift-giving time in lots of
cultures anyway.

I don't know what to do about Easter, but fortunately it's a bit more limited
in scope anyway (people don't usually INSIST on giving everyone they know
chocolate bunnies), whereas Christmas keeps expanding and expanding.

Helen Schinske