McKinley

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 13:03:30 EST 2004

In a message dated 2/19/04 4:23:47 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> Well, maybe not me, personally. Again, I make the point that a lot of
> literary fiction does much more impenetrable things with descriptive prose.
> I don't see McKinley being a worse writer than any of those literary first
> novellists who get reviewed in the NY Times. In fact, she's much better
> than some of them. I was making a point about writing in a genre and the
> kind of expectations that creates. I think Patricia McKillip gets similar
> criticism.
>
> Robyn

I find Patricia McKillip's work completely impenetrable, myself. Not sure
why. For that reason I wouldn't dare criticize her prose, simply because I never
got far enough to see what she was actually trying to accomplish with it.
(There are, of course, writers whose work I'll dismiss after reading a few
scattered sentences, because they're obviously terrible, but she's not in that
category.)

Helen Schinske