Rowling and religion in CL

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 12:35:36 EST 2004

Jennifer wrote:
> In Witch Week, I don't think any reference is made to religion- witches
> are supposed to be evil, but I don't think "servants of the devil" comes
> into it- although that must have been the idea originally, since the split
> in the worlds was in 1605, at which point King James was frothing at the
> mouth about witches.

Again, it's pretty oblique in Witch Week - which personally is how I like
it, as I tend to find most attempts in fantasy books to come up with a
"true explanation" underlying all forms of religious and magical
expression, deeply unsatisfying - but I was thinking about this today, and
of course Teddy Crossley is called so because of "Gladly my cross I'd
bear": so the school seems to be "Christian" - at least in the same way,
presumably, as English schools are in our/Janet's world. Though you're
right that there isn't a great deal of religious anti-witch rhetoric - I
think the Inquisitor might say something about "devils", but that's about
it.

Love, Ika

--
"There are some bad people on the rise" - Moz