Awful Boyfriends (was introduction etc)

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 12:23:42 EST 2004

[Health warning to Minnow: the phrase "being Awful" recurs in this email...]

Hallie wrote:

> With her usual impeccable timing, Becca (my 17 y.o. daughter, Ika,
> who used to post here from time to time, and may again) came out with
> a very relevant remark.  I got bumped off the computer earlier, and
> she discovered something quite disturbing about a friend.  A little
> bit after she'd told me, it occurred to me that this threw new
> wrinkles onto a plan which I'd already thought fairly horrendous.
> When I mentioned this to her, she moaned 'Oh, please don't, I'm
> *repressing*!'  :)

:) indeed - though actually the only Awful Boyfriend I ever had was...
Hmm. I was thinking about this while I was walking round town today, and
I'm not sure he was a DWJ type *at all* (which should have been enough to
warn me off): but if anything, he was probably Laurel, in the scene where
she uses cheap emotion and cliche to get Polly to agree to give up Tom
<shudder>.

Hey, and it's nice to see someone else who loved How To Write Really
Badly, too!

And Rowena wrote:

> I think the supreme example of Awful Boyfriend is from the Time of the
> Ghost (Julian? My brain's gone now).

Ohhh, yes. He's a masterpiece.

> We don't see all that much of him, so
> he's not as fleshed out as Seb, but his actions are pivotal to the whole
> book (Not least because he causes the accident!)
> Seb does at least have reasons for being Awful*, and Polly does
> acknowledge 'he was always on her side in a way'

Yes, I've always had a sort of soft spot for Seb: he's an interesting
revision of Julian, the way Roddy-Grundo is an interesting revision of
Cat-Gwendolen.

Love, Ika

--
"There are some bad people on the rise" - Moz