The Potterverse (was; DWJ in Israeli newspaper)

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 11:32:09 EST 2004

<< I was noticing something else annoying about HP last night:  they have
glamorous celebrations of Christmas without any religious basis.  They also have
Easter Holidays.  But do they have religion?  Not by anything I've seen.
<snarf>  And there should, based on the surnames, be a variety of religions
represented in the student body anyway. >>

One of my essays over on the Red Hen site is entitled "Wizards and Religion".
>From what Rowling has had to say of the wizarding world, they only split off
from the mundane world at the end of the 17th century. Which means that they
have lived among Muggles for most of human history, and it stands to reason
that over a number of periods, their continued survival had depended upon their
ability to blend in. Most wizards would have certainly have had a tradition of
observing the public forms of whatever religion was predominant in their
region.

I suspect that just about every human religion is alive and well inside the
ww, *as well as* a highly secularized worldview which has been adopted by the
British Ministry of Magic.

But, of course, coming out and *saying* so is far too controversial a stance
for any writer whose work is marketed to children to actually do, so Rowling
hasn't.

In fact, the issue which Rowling ends up dodging is one that I doubt has even
occured to her, and that is; what kind of shifts in doctrine would be likely
to have taken place over 300 years of isolation within a congregation which is
routinely able to perform miracles themselves?