Rowling and religion in CL (was DWJ in Israeli newspaper)

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Fri Feb 20 10:52:28 EST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
|Not pausing to quibble over the 'were once considered' to agree
|instead with Ros's point that there should be a variety of religions
|represented in the Potterverse, even if one is to forgive Rowling the
|other.  I mean, come on, if schools in *Dublin* are now aware that
|they need to give some kids homework off on the last day of Ramadan,
|it shouldn't be beyond Rowling to bring this awareness of different
|religious backgrounds into her books.

A more universal secularism, perhaps?  My completely irreligious nephew
(the child of an irreligious Jew and an irreligious Catholic) was in the
Diwali concert at his Birmingham school as well as the Christmas
pageant, when he was much younger.  They didn't learn any religion, but
plenty of songs and concert bits.

-deborah
--
Hither then, swiftly, for I'm cold, I'm cold.
		-- _The Folk of the Air_