Rowling and religion

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Fri Feb 20 10:03:02 EST 2004

On Friday 20 February 2004 14:44, Roger Burton West wrote:

> I've found it useful to distinguish "Christmas" (Christian festival)
> from "Xmas" (Mammonist festival); is there a similar distinction
> possible for the two varieties of Easter celebration?

Three varieties. Our kids used to think that they celebrated Easter
twice: once in school with a Passover-like "Easter breakfast" and once
in church with the whole Orthodox pomp and circumstance. These days,
they assume that what they're celebrating in school is kind of Holy
Thursday because it's *on* Holy Thursday and you have a meal (though
nothing is said about the Last Supper, or even about Christ; only about
the flight from Egypt).

This year, they have to choose between having Easter breakfast at school
and getting the day off to go to church, because Western and Orthodox
Easter happens to coincide (it does so irregularly, but never twice in
a row).

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 03-Feb-2004