Rowling and religion in CL (was DWJ in Israeli newspaper)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Feb 20 09:12:33 EST 2004

Hallie on Charlie on Hallie:

Hallie
>>>  Not pausing to quibble over the 'were once considered'
Charlie:
>>I only do it to annoy -
Hallie
>...because he knows it teases!  :)
Chorus
Wah! Wah! Wah!

>>though I do think it's a fair representation of the
>>attitude of the majority of English people.

*Everybody* recognises the many Feasts of St. Bank even if nobody knows
what s/he is supposed to have done.

>Major rant alert (directed in no way towards Charlie's statement,
>which is perfectly reasonable!):

<watches with interest to see whether Charlie takes offence at having a
statement of his called "perfectly reasonable">

I've snipped the rant because I simply agree, and that makes for a boring
discussion.  AOL, Hallie.  Have a *mint* humbug as opposed to having to
shout "Bah, Humbug!"

<passes scruffy sticky paper bag Halliewards>

Very slight point, actually: maybe the translations into American get
dumbed down by the publishers?  Like assuming the young American is too
dumb to cope with *The Philospher's Stone* as a title?  If the American
yoof have noticed this, they might resent it, I s'pose, and avoid American
editions in the shop in favour of getting imports from the internet so they
can be sure they are getting the real thing un-watered-down.

Minnow