Mark Haddon (no significant spoillers)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Feb 19 13:51:14 EST 2004

On Thursday, February 19, 2004, at 03:01 AM, Roger Burton West wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:41:47PM +0000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
>
>> Oddly enough, the book I just started, Jane Lindskold's _Brother to
>> Dragons, Companion to Owls_,
> [snip stuff I'm not commenting on]
>> Anyone else read it?
>
> I found it very tough going to start with, but persisted and very much
> enjoyed it. This is why I'm a little edgy about "the right to give up
> on
> a book" - yes, sometimes I do, but more often I plough on just in case
> it does reward it.

For some reason or other, it took me forever to get into _Deep Secret_.
I don't remember why, but I'm sure I started it a couple of times before
the time I finally finished it.  And it's one of my absolute favorites.

So I, too, am a little edgy about 'the right to give up on a book'.  And
I, too, have done it a few times.

There are still some books sitting around that I've not made it through
yet but intend to keep hammering away at.

- If you think you're too small to have an impact,
   try going to bed with a mosquito.

                                                              -- Anita
Roddick