McKinley

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Feb 19 13:30:44 EST 2004

On Wednesday, February 18, 2004, at 11:57 PM, deborah wrote:

> Fair enough.  It didn't work for me, though.  :)
>
> I mean, I came away from her first few books with moments to treasure,
> and I didn't from SE or RD.  But I'm willing to buy that I'm just not
> on
> the train that's her stylistic shift, rather than my first inclination
> was that it was more of a stylistic crash.  Taste instead of quality.
>
> -deborah

Just so nobody's in any doubt, I like McKinley's later stuff very
much.  I like Rose Daughter much better than Beauty, and I'm
positively enamored of Spindle's End.

One of the things I particularly like about RD is that the
Beast is not transformed at the end.  I guess I've got a
streak of bestiality or something, because it's always seemed
to me that if one fell in love with a beast, a handsome prince
would come in a very poor second.

I like the richness of detail and didn't find it distracting.

I also like all the baking stuff in Sunshine, even though you
couldn't get me to bake without using a cattle prod.  [I'm not a
gardener, either, but I like all the gardening in RD.]

I guess I'm a sucker for hearing about things people do well.

- My mother said to me, "If you become a soldier,
   you'll become a general; if you become a monk,
   you'll end up as the pope."  Instead, I became a
   painter and wound up as Picasso.

                                -- Pablo Picasso