Mark Haddon (no significant spoillers)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Feb 19 09:02:01 EST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Sally Odgers wrote:

> > Have you read _The Sherwood Ring_?
>
> I have. I liked it better on the second reading than on the first, and would
> probably like it better still it it wasn't overshadowed by TPG.

...and I liked it even better the third time. The first time I was all
"man, it's not mindblowingly gorgeous and beautiful and poignant and...oh,
right, that's not fair, even though her other book is like that." Although
I think the "wait, we're getting *married*?" thing works better in TPG,
because at least there's been a bit of suggestion there, and I think
things were more assumable in Elizabethan England than in 19...50s? 60s?
New York (I think. right? my memory is going, even though I just reread
the book last month).

> Why DID she write only two? Unfair. Unfair.

Utterly unfair. Does anyone have any biographical information on her which
might explain it?