LoTR and dwj

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 03:37:13 EST 2004

>The person who gave the paper made the point that JRRT always argued that
>Tom Bombadil was really important, and in fact he was the sticking point on
>an earlier proposed film version. I think your explanation kind of hits the
>important issue about assumptions and the differences between popular films
>and reading.

Well, I never saw him as very important during the reading either, and if
JRRT did he definitely should have written the book somewhat differently.
*grin* And I'm sure TB could have been made a sticking point on a film
version, but I don't think that would have become a more faithful
adaptation, even if perhaps it would have made the ecology aspect more
obvious.

But yeah, there *is* a difference between films and reading, and not just
popular films, but all films. A film will never be the same work as the book
it's based on, and if it's anything that should be avoided, it's
"illustrated classics". Obviously, the PJ version is *one* of many possible.
Mine wouldn't have been anything like it, it would have been a lot more
hobbit-focused and based on little people in really big events - but I
wouldn't have included TB either.

Katta