DWJ in Israeli newspaper

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 18 22:07:41 EST 2004

Gili wrote:

> I went and reread the Hebrew to see if I could have translated this
> differently. "Snappiness" could have been "sharpness", even "sharpness of
> perception", but the " slightly bitter" part is definitely there. As for
the
> "dark and oppressive" bit, I could have translated that a zillion
different
> ways, and "oppressive" may have been too strong a word to choose. Does
> "gloomy and slightly depressed" sound much better?

Hmm, these differences in nuance do make quite a bit of difference,
especially "sharpness of perception". Even so, it seems to me that the
writer of the article has a rather literal understanding of DWJ's work seems
to miss much of her subtlety and complexity. Other people--eg Ika--have
spoken so eloquently about it already that I won't say more, but I did want
to thank you for translating this article and sending it to the list. It's
so interesting to see how different people perceive DWJ.

Ros