LoTR and dwj

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 18 18:38:07 EST 2004

>What about the ents? Shouldn't they count? In the extended version, they
>even have the moving trees... And Arwen calling upon the river - though
>that *looks* a bit like a spell, it isn't meant to be one (at least
>according to the DVD commentary).

No fair arguing the extended version, because the issue is that in the
general release, which is like the standard version of the text, the trees
are missing. The point about Arwen is that in the book it is quite clearly
not caused by any person, and it also isn't nearly as clear that it *is*
magic. Same with the mountain - in the book it's the mountain itself that
is hostile, in the film it is made into a spell by a person to make the
mountain hostile. There are other examples, but I'm not familiar enough
with the text to repeat them.

>The only bit of animism I can think of that didn't make it into the film
>was Tom Bombadil, and the quite obvious reason for that is that he doesn't
>move the story along one bit. He's a lovely character, but I don't think
>there was ever any doubt in anyone's mind that he couldn't make it into
>the film.

The person who gave the paper made the point that JRRT always argued that
Tom Bombadil was really important, and in fact he was the sticking point on
an earlier proposed film version. I think your explanation kind of hits the
important issue about assumptions and the differences between popular films
and reading.

Robyn