introduction etc (was DWJ in Israeli newspaper)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 18 18:36:31 EST 2004

Deborah:

>|And another one who faces really hard things head-on!  I'm a fan of
>|the Tillerman books (most of them, haven't read them all) - and aside
>|from the inadequate or abusive parents, there's Maybeth as well.  She
>|breaks my heart every time, and I'm convinced (on no evidence mind),
>|that Voigt based  her on a student she encountered while teaching.
>|Yay, another Cynthia Voigt fan.
>
>Though _Seventeen Against the Dealer_ is too hard for me, I'm afraid.
>Real life is that hard, and that frustrating, but after everything
>for which Dicey's worked so hard, to go out with a whimper like that ...
>ah, no.  I can't bear it.

It is hard - but at least it ends with hopeful - what we can
generally count on DWJ to give us.  I find it harder because Dicey's
so careless of the people around her in it - and yes, real people do
make mistakes just that way, but oh, it's awful to read.  (I've
wimped out on the one I'm blanking out on the title of - something
about a runner, as I didn't think I could bear to re-visit the
family's irreparable mistakes.)  Thank heavens the truly terrible
thing doesn't happen in the family; after _Dicey's Song_ it *could*
have, and that would have been unbearable.

Hallie.