OT: McKinley

Laurel lalamme at gru.net
Wed Feb 18 21:20:51 EST 2004

deborah wrote:

>Though in defense, there's some flipping brilliant fanfiction out there.
>When you think about it, the only essential difference between tie-in
>fiction and fanfiction is whether you're paid or not (think _Spock's
>World_, Diane Duane's fantastic Trek novel).

I'm glad to hear someone else loves that book - I had been reading other
Trek novels when I came across it at a fairly young age, and was
flabbergasted at how good it was, especially compared to the other tie-ins.

>That being said, that mostly applies for tv/film fanfic.  It's much,
>much harder to write good literary fanfic (IMHO, there's no good DWJ
>fanfic, for example) because you have to remain true to both characters
>and style, as well as plot and narrative and everything else.

As a general rule, I would certainly agree that there is almost no good
DWJ fanfic, however, I found this example at least amusing when I read
it recently:

http://www.intimations.org/yuletide/archive/1/modusvivendi.html

I am not, however, looking for more, since I agree with the theory that
fanfic is usually about filling plotholes, fleshing out characters, or
other ways of dealing with problematic text, none of which DWJ's books
require. Plus what you said about the difficulty of decent literary
fanfic in general.

Laurel