OT: McKinley

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Wed Feb 18 17:52:14 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 meparks at mtholyoke.edu wrote:
|I really think that this was the biggest problem with Harry Potter 5 (and 4 to
|a lesser extent).  I had a friend who swore up and down that she'd read fanfic
|online that was better, truer to the characters, and better edited.

Though in defense, there's some flipping brilliant fanfiction out there.
When you think about it, the only essential difference between tie-in
fiction and fanfiction is whether you're paid or not (think _Spock's
World_, Diane Duane's fantastic Trek novel).

That being said, that mostly applies for tv/film fanfic.  It's much,
much harder to write good literary fanfic (IMHO, there's no good DWJ
fanfic, for example) because you have to remain true to both characters
and style, as well as plot and narrative and everything else.

Not to mention both television and films these days are usually written
by committee, and books -- thank goodness, all the wonderful things
we've been saying about editors aside -- are not.

-deborah
--
"I'm a citizen, this is my president, and in this country it is
not only permissible to question our leaders, it is our