Mark Haddon (no significant spoillers)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 18 17:41:47 EST 2004

Melissa:

>I haven't read Elizabeth Moon's book, so I can't say whether she does a
>better job or not, but I can say that Haddon's portrayal of his protagonist
>was incredibly accurate.

Oddly enough, the book I just started, Jane Lindskold's _Brother to
Dragons, Companion to Owls_, is also a first-person narrative and the
character has at least had a diagnosis of autism made.  I strongly
suspect that there's going to be a lot more to it than that (or that
that will prove to have been a faked diagnosis).  So far, though, it
is definitely not working for me - the character can only speak in
quotations, mainly Shakespeare and the Bible, but is usually giving
the reader clear descriptions of her feelings and inability to
describe them.  Anyone else read it?

>One thing that bugged me a little was that Haddon's book was shelved in the
>YA section, and it seems a lot more like an adult book to me.  Next thing
>you know they're going to stick _To Kill a Mockingbird_ in there just
>because the protagonist is a kid....

Was it not published as both adult and YA over there as it was this
side of the water?  Rather a big deal was made of that dual
publication here, iirc.  I do think it came to my attention sooner
because of being in YA, though I still haven't read it yet.  Becca
ran off with it and was very impressed.  I've now lent it to my
mother, which means it may be a while before I get it back.

Not disagreeing with you about YA sectioning btw - I think I said
before here that I thought putting Le Guin's _The Other Wind_ there
was just daft.

Hallie.