introduction etc (was DWJ in Israeli newspaper)

Macrae-Gibson,R R.Macrae-Gibson at lse.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 14:13:35 EST 2004

I think the supreme example of Awful Boyfriend is from the Time of the Ghost (Julian? My brain's gone now). We don't see all that much of him, so he's not as fleshed out as Seb, but his actions are pivotal to the whole book (Not least because he causes the accident!)
Seb does at least have reasons for being Awful*, and Polly does acknowledge 'he was always on her side in a way'

*Mother's life stolen for Lauren
*Fear that his life would be used instead of Tom's for Mr Leroy
*Quite possible that any future children & his wife (Polly) would also be killed
etc

Rowena