Speed of Dark

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Wed Feb 18 12:04:18 EST 2004

        I found this much easier to read than Haddon's book, which I never
finished because it was so difficult.  In Moon's book, we are dealing with an
adult who has already learned a great deal about coping with others, and who has
had a lot of specialized therapy and training as well.  The gene therapy I
believe was applied to infants/prenatals, so that there weren't going to be many
more autistic individuals in the future.  The protagonist's age group was
just too old to have benefitted from the gene therapy, which was why they were
potential recipients of the 'new' treatment.
     The lack of ability to filter, to prioritize incoming information, which
seems to me to be the essence of autism, is balanced by the intense
concentration on whatever item the person fixes on.  That makes sense in terms of
mathematics and other scientific talents, where the most intense focus allows one
to follow a chain of thought or math process.
     Just my 2cents worth - not an expert in this.
            Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com