Fall Line

kmf frede005 at tc.umn.edu
Wed Feb 18 08:40:41 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> places where there was no need for it, mostly.  My English Collins
> dictionary defines "Fall Line" with upper case initials as being quite
> specifically on the East Coast of the United States, rather than as being a
> general term, and doesn't say it would apply in England.  Without the
> capitals it is some technical term from skiing, nothing to do with rivers,
> apparently.

I think "head of navigation" is also used, for a place where large boats
can go  no further - because of falls or rapids. For instance, in
settlement days the head of navigation on the Mississippi was at St.
Anthony Falls (now part of Minneapolis, where I live).  They built a mill
at the falls. (Of course small boats could float on the upper river, but
this is about shipping and major transportation).

Karen