Fall Line

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Feb 18 07:20:57 EST 2004

Irina wrote anxiously:

>On Wednesday 18 February 2004 00:43, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>> Though probably in Holland there aren't too many places to which this
>> applies, I s'pose in England there probably are -- harking back to
>> Swallows and Amazons, as I often do, I think there's a bit in
>> *SWallowdale* where they go as far up the river as they can in the
>> Beckfoot war canoe, and leave it moored in the pool below the first
>> waterfall.
>
>I hope you (Minnow) don't think that the book I'm writing is set in
>Holland; that's as bad (though not as large) a misconception as that
>everything I write is autobiographical. It's *fantasy*, <looks around
>to see which list this is, good, it's not Christian-Fandom> dammit.

No, I didn't think that, your description in your other post made it clear!
I was contemplating the difficulty of finding out such terminology in
places where there was no need for it, mostly.  My English Collins
dictionary defines "Fall Line" with upper case initials as being quite
specifically on the East Coast of the United States, rather than as being a
general term, and doesn't say it would apply in England.  Without the
capitals it is some technical term from skiing, nothing to do with rivers,
apparently.

Minnow