OT: McKinley

mks at brisingamen.demon.co.uk mks at brisingamen.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 03:12:52 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:34:11 +1100, Sally  wrote:

>Hi, Maureen; quite a lot of us "get it" I think. I'm a good structural and
>style editor for other people (I do ms assessing in my "spare" time), but I
>can't rely on doing it for myself. I get the cold grue when a publisher says
>s/he's planning to publish "as is". We need our editors to protect us from
>ourselves.

Absolutely; I write reviews and articles for small magazines and I
can't remember when anyone last edited me, 'because you're an editor',
the implication being I've sorted that out already. I really hate
reading these things when they're published 'as is' because I can see
everything that needs to be tweaked. I have perforce learned to be a
good self-editor and to check my work thoroughly, but oh how I long
for the dialogue, and for someone to realise that good editors have
bad typing days!

Maureen

Maureen Kincaid Speller
Folkestone, Kent, UK