McKinley

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Wed Feb 18 01:57:42 EST 2004

McKinley, which
> is why do people accuse her of being stylisticly bad?  Can someone please
> attempt (again) to explain the problem to me?

I don't think she is stylistically bad, but I think she was stylistically
better in her "Beauty" days. Any imbalance of ingredients is not so good,
and when detail overwhelms story, then there's probably a problem. (The
reverse is also true.) There are lots of writers with the tendency to write
"long". I'm one of them. Most of us prune and cut before the editor jumps on
us. Most of the rest of us prune and cut after the editor jumps on us. A few
of us don't get jumped on. DWJ never (in my view) lets detail overwhelm
story, or plot overwhelm character, or character overwhelm sense of place.
If she has a fault it's probably over-complexity of ending, but I rather
like complexity -if it's part of the story.

Sallyo.