OT: McKinley

mks at brisingamen.demon.co.uk mks at brisingamen.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 01:17:50 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:31:29 +1100, Sallyo wrote:

>Writers often get self indulgent. That's what we have editors for.

As a freelance copyeditor who likes to eat, I'm glad to hear that some
authors 'get' it. A year or so back I worked with someone who told me
in all seriousness that I'd just need to check a few spellings as his
work was just fine ... a week and a lot of carefully considered pencil
later he was obliged to concede that maybe, just maybe, copyeditors
were useful, and would I work on his next book? Given some of the
problems I'd just steered him through, I'm glad he asked.

I've seen a lot of discussion in various fora recently about Anne
Rice's decision that she no longer needed to be copy-edited as her
work was now more or less perfect (maybe not her words, but definitely
her implication). Those who read her and were discussing this as one
person felt that she was wrong on this and that her work had
deteriorated.

Maureen (posting for the first time)

Maureen Kincaid Speller
Folkestone, Kent, UK