LoTR and dwj

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 20:02:21 EST 2004

--- Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Okay I bet that subject heading got your attention.
>
> I went to a paper at the SF conference which was
> talking about how the film
> version of LoTR put quite a different slant on a lot
> of the animism in the
> book. That is, what are forces of nature in the book
> are turned into human
> actions or otherwise left out of the films. The
> person who gave the paper
> had a whole bit about JRRT imagining hobbits as part
> of the natural
> landscape -- creatures (races) who are there, but
> who humans don't see
> because we have forgotten how to observe nature.

I think this person got LOTR all wrong. JRRT makes it
quite clear that Hobbits are human-like if not
actually a variety of human, who humans now don't see
because they are very rare and because they avoid
humans "they avoid us with dismay and are becoming
hard to find" (prologue). The only real animism in
LOTR is Tom Bombadil and (esp) Goldberry, which was
cut out of the movie (the the BBC broadcast version)
for all sorts of very get reasons, such as length and
not having anything much to do with the main story or
its themes.

Jon