OT: McKinley

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Tue Feb 17 19:20:29 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Sally Odgers wrote:

|> >McKinley did that thing that
|> >annoyed me with Rose Daughter - she seems to have discovered baking as a
|> >hobby and tells us almost more about it than we can stand
|
|Writers often get self indulgent. That's what we have editors for.

Yes -- and I feel that in RD and Spindle's End (I've not yet read
Sunshine) -- McKinley is underedited.

That being said, I adore Dean's Tam Lin, and that's a super
self-indulgent book.  I can't say what it is about the endless smug
well-readness of Tam Lin that turns me on, while the endless smug
well-thought-outness of the magic system in Spindle's End grates on my
nerves.

-deborah
--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout.
Here is my handle and here is my ... my ...