Fan letter medicine

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Tue Feb 17 18:40:46 EST 2004

> Well, in that case! I've always said I'd write her another fan letter and
> have abandoned various efforts over the years, but I always find that sort
> of thing so difficult to write.

Fan letters should always be specific. Not "I love your books" but "I love
your books because...". Not "Where do you get your ideas" but "Where did you
get the idea for...?"  And if saying "my favourite is Howl" or some other
older title, be sure to praise "Merlin" as well. *No* author likes to be
told, in effect, "your early stuff was better than what you write now".

Sallyo.