Truth and kindliness (was Re: DWJ in Israeli newspaper)

Tue Feb 17 18:40:55 EST 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:44:06 -0600, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 17, 2004, at 11:21  AM, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>

>> I am not in favor of telling unnecessary truths, as you put it; I see
>> it as
>> (in most cases) a purely selfish act that benefits no one but the
>> teller,
>> who may even be acting out of spitefulness and hiding behind their
>> "honesty."  It may be truthful that someone you work with looks like
>> Ichabod
>> Crane, but saying so doesn't do anyone any good.
>>

><blush> But I do work with someone who looks like Ichabod Crane, and I
>have mentioned this to one or two people.

I should say, it's not good to tell *that person* that he looks like Ichabod
Crane.  Or to be mean about it, I guess.  I confess that I often tell my
husband about how strange people look, but I excuse myself by not being
meanspirited about it.  There's this woman in my church who looks just like
the stereotypical wicked witch; her face is...knobbly.  And she is a very
sweet lady, too, just...knobbly.

Melissa Proffitt
(who is never as nice as she imagines she is)