Unnecessary truths

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 18:33:19 EST 2004

In a message dated 2/17/04 5:19:18 PM Central Standard Time, Minnow writes:

> Somewhere in the back of my mind I have a nagging tagging bit of one of
> those sorts of moral poems the Victorians went in for to aim at children,
> the ones DWJ says fall straight out of one's brain with a faint cry of
> "don't be *Goddy*", some thing about thinking before you say anything and
> asking yourself "these questions three: first, Is it kind? then, Is it
> true? then, Is it necessary?" which is very likely whence I came up with
> "unnecessary truth".

Oh, lord, I've been using this one on my children (not the rhyme version, but
asking them if what they said was either necessary or kind). With predictable
results, of course, of nasty little grins and cries of "yes it WAS
necessary!"

I have no idea where it's from. The "three/necessaree" rhyme sounds a bit
Gilbertian. Is it KIND, is it TROO, is it ne-ce-sair-EE?

Helen Schinske