LoTR and dwj

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 17 18:20:33 EST 2004

Okay I bet that subject heading got your attention.

I went to a paper at the SF conference which was talking about how the film
version of LoTR put quite a different slant on a lot of the animism in the
book. That is, what are forces of nature in the book are turned into human
actions or otherwise left out of the films. The person who gave the paper
had a whole bit about JRRT imagining hobbits as part of the natural
landscape -- creatures (races) who are there, but who humans don't see
because we have forgotten how to observe nature.

This last comment immediately made me think of Power of Three. Not being a
big LoTR fan, I wondered if people on this list see a similarity between
the books in this aspect. Comments?

Robyn