The Fascination of What's Difficult

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Tue Feb 17 15:38:17 EST 2004

Minnow wrote:
>> Whereas *The Wonderful O* is entirely easy to read from one end to the
other, in fact almost impossible not to. Somebody, which came first?  Was
Thurber extracting the Michael, or did he
think of it independently, or did Prc find the idea in Thurber and take it
to extremes, does anyone suppose?

I'm guessing Thurber came first, and neither author particularly cared about
the other.

What did yu learn at schl tday?
That mist is always mist, but nt all that is mist is mist.

Thank you, Minnow, for reminding me of this book! My mother once dug up a
pile of old and mouldy books from the basement of our apartment building,
and started to burn them on a bonfire, before she realised what a stupid
thing she was doing. "The 13 Clocks and the Wonderful O" was one of the
books that survived, as was "The Magic Finger". Given these two, I don't
even want to think which books may have not survived.