McKinley

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 17 08:42:24 EST 2004

Laurie wrote:
> Have we had any discussion on Robin McKinley's _Sunshine_?

I haven't read the whole thing yet- it isn't in the library, and I'll buy the normal size paperback when it comes out.

> In general, (no spoliers), I liked the characters very much,
> and the world she created

Yes, me too, of the bit I read- I certainly want to know what happens! I like the way we gradually get details of the world and the back-story.

> A lot of reviews compare it to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I
> can see.

I didn't think it was that similar as far as I got. (But I often find that differences in tone mask similarities until someone else points them out, and they do "feel" pretty different to me, so I may have missed things.) I sort of wonder if this comparison might be mostly because Buffy is the most famous vampire stuff around at the moment- what sort of comparisons were reviews making, and could they also apply to other vampire books?

It didn't seem as enthralling to me as McKinley's other books, but I'm not sure if that's a change in me, a change in McKinley's writing style, I'm just not as interested in vampires as in fairy stories, or if I didn't get far enough in. I'll definitely buy it, and would enjoy discussing it when I know what I'm talking about ;)
Jennifer