Re introduction etc (was DWJ in Israeli newspaper)

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Tue Feb 17 08:37:31 EST 2004

> > NIce to find another admirer of Anne Fine here.
>
> Hooray! I do love her (though, oddly, don't enjoy her 'adult' fiction
> anywhere near as much as the children's or YA books).

I love her ***"Angel of Nitshill Road"... and her two Ione books.

Sallyo.

*** Review follows

The Angel of Nitshill Road, by Anne Fine, is a charming little book with a
keen edge to it. It concerns three bullied children in a primary school
setting, a new girl who may be an angel, a well-meaning teacher with his
head in the sand and a Book. In the hands of another author it might have
been an earnest tale of social problem, a story of victims, or of bullies
and how they're made. In Anne Fine's hands the story shows how victims
contribute to their problems, how bullies can be stopped and how a few
straight actions can solve a nasty situation. It's all told with a sharp eye
to human nature, detail and with AF's inimitable style.

Check it out at the link below.

http://www.annefine.co.uk/books/angel.shtml

This, BTW, is one of the very few little chapter books for lower and mid
primary school that I consider to be close to perfection. Annie Dalton's The
Witch Rose is another of them.